The Yonkers Philharmonic Orchestra (YPO), founded in 1962, is lower Westchester’s flagship community symphony orchestra and one of the jewels of the City of Yonkers and Westchester County. The orchestra provides free classical music concerts to Yonkers and the surrounding communities and its diverse programs are funded primarily through grants from ArtsWestchester, the Westchester Community Foundation, the Thomas and Agnes Carvel Foundation and the City of Yonkers, as well as through generous contributions from its loyal audience members. Overseeing YPO is the Fine Arts Orchestral Society of Yonkers (FAOS), a volunteer-run 501(c)(3) organization founded by the late Dr. Kathleen Pistone-Carucci, and currently led by its President, Victoria Jimpson-Fludd. In most years, YPO presents four free concerts, featuring orchestral masterpieces from the 1700s to the present and has also presented free outdoor summer concerts in collaboration with the Hudson River Museum and Untermyer Performing Arts Council. Among YPO’s signature programs are the Annual Beethoven Festival and Annual Young Artists Concerto Competition and Concert, featuring Westchester student winners as soloists with the orchestra. YPO was featured at the gala celebration of the opening of the building that houses the Riverfront branch of the Yonkers Public Library and the Yonkers Board of Education, and has won numerous awards and accolades for its programming and community engagement.
Other information about us:
- In June 2003 the East Yonkers Rotary Club gave the FAOS an honorarium for service to the community.
- On April 23, 2006 UPAC honored the FAOS and the Yonkers Philharmonic Orchestra for community service.
- In 2012 the Yonkers Philharmonic Orchestra was honored with an award from ArtsWestchester for outstanding Community Service.
- On March 10, 2013 the orchestra celebrated its 50th anniversary with a gala concert at the Performing Arts Center at SUNY Purchase to a full house and rave reviews.
- All concerts are free of admission costs. All are welcome.
- All board members are volunteers.
- About 30% of the orchestra members are volunteers.
The Yonkers Philharmonic Orchestra has been one of the jewels of the City of Yonkers and Westchester County since 1962. The orchestra provides free classical music concerts to the community and operates through grants and generous contributions of its friends. We are a 501c3 not for profit organization and all contributions are tax deductible.
We thank the PROBONO Partnership for matching FAOS/YPO with volunteer lawyers who helped us revise our ByLaws and resolve other legal issues. The Partnership also provide workshops which address many of the important legal issues faced by nonprofits.
Special thanks to
- Thomas & Agnes Carvel Foundation
- Mayor Mike Spano
- The City of Yonkers
- Yonkers Dep’t of Parks, Recreation and Conservation for their support
The Arts *STAR* Inititive
Congratulations to the Yonkers Philharmonic Orchestra which was selected by WNYC for The ARts *STAR* Initiative.